Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

And the counting and sorting continues...


Get it... we have pencils coming out of our ears!

On a more serious note, I received a package of pencils from a friend, Haley Larsen, the other day. In her package was a note, and in her note was a beautiful expression of what she feels passionately about: writing. Because she articulated so well what has been on my mind for the past year or so, I asked for permission to share it with you.
This is her note:

"Sam, thank you so much for spreading the news of this cause and inviting others to contribute. Pencils seem like such a small thing, but they are in disguise. Pencils are words. They are language, dreams, thoughts; waiting to be written. Writing is a beautiful thing--I feel sincere joy, deep down in my heart, when I think of a child shaping his or her first words with these small pencils. Words and language shape us--they shape our world. And we need the words, the language, of the voices in Kenya, or our own world, our own shapes, will be unfulfilled. So take these pencils. Let's see what they say."


5 comments:

  1. oh my gosh. i just read this and started balling. Sam, you are AMAZING! You're the most generous and do-good person i know. And props to Haley for her beautiful note. Hope you have an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, sam!
    You are so amazing, I am happy to hear the pencil number continues to grow!
    Have a phenomenal trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that Haley the BEST? I can say that because I am her MOM!!! I agree with her words and am so glad that she can express them so beautifully.
    Sam and Cindy-
    I wish that I had know about your work sooner. Can we still get involved even though you are already in Africa doing your fabulous jobs? I would love to get my 2nd grade class involved or better yet if possible my entire school. I teach at a charter school in West Haven. Haley says that you are working on several projects. Let me know if I can help!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam, hope you are well...off doing noble things. Let us know how the pencil project was received by the students in Africa. Take care!

    ReplyDelete